.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Veritatis Splendor

"Keep your eyes fixed upon Jesus, who inspires and perfects our faith" --Hebrews 12:2


Pope Benedict XVI before our Lord

And only where God is seen does life truly begin. Only when we meet the living God in Christ do we know what life is. We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution.
Each of us is the result of a thought of God.
Each of us is willed,
each of us is loved,
each of us is necessary.
There is nothing more beautiful than to be surprised by the Gospel, by the encounter with Christ. There is nothing more beautiful than to know Him and to speak to others of our friendship with Him.
~Pope Benedict XVI, Homily April 24th, 2005



Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Ambulance drivers don't wear Roman collars

In the news - No mercy for priest with parking ticket, after he parked in an ambulance-only zone to tend a patient in need. Speaking as a former EMT/ambulance driver, I have to say that I'm a bit torn - I mean, it doesn't say if the patient was literally on death's door or not, and I must say that if I came in my bus and some priest had parked in my spot to talk to Granny (yes, I realize that is a good and honorable thing), I'd be a bit mad too. I mean, you can park legally and walk to talk to Granny Padre. Of course, Padre rushing to hear someone's confession who's dying, now I would be much more sympathetic to that. I hope there was valid cause for Fr. to be there, but in any case, Romans 8:28 shows us again how true it is -

The silver lining is that readers who learned about the ticket from the Daily News, where the story first appeared, and from an Associated Press story mailed cards, letters and nearly $1,500.

"I was very surprised," Monsignor Guy Massie, pastor of St. Andrew's, said Wednesday. "People are responding to their own frustration with the Bureau of Traffic Violations."

Massie said he would donate the money to charity.


Gotta love it. It never ceases to amaze me how much "loose money" must be floating around in our homes and checking accounts, ready for donation to causes that catch our eye. Ponder that the next time you throw a measley buck in the collection basket at church. Then again, maybe we should learn from it - as a culture, we seem to be far more inclined to help with a lot of little specific things than to just throw our money into a big pot. Maybe we shouldn't be afraid to let people know the details of our church's needs, maybe all it takes to refurbish the Adoration chapel is to say, "hey folks, does anyone want to donate money towards a new statue/tabernacle/icon/altar/you-name-it?" People like giving a little personally, instead of giving a lot vaguely.

1 Comments:

Blogger Adoro said...

You were an EMT, and you STILL refer to yourself as an "Ambulance Driver"??? Wow. That is an insult to EMT's/Medics...I realize you're doing it because of the common (mis)understanding of what they really do, but still, girl!

I was trained as an EMT...twice...once on my own, once paid by a local large city to take the course, and I was a ski patroller for 4 or 5 years. As ski patrol, we didn't have to worry so much about the local padre stopping in, thankfully, and our ambulance-only area was quite small.

In all seriousness, I have been torn on this topic from my law enf./EMT background. Spiritually, I'm completely with the priest, but legally, I have to side with the courts on this one. I can't remember...was there a place for "priest/pastor only parking"? I've seen that in some places but I don't think it was addressed in this particular situation.

I'd be willing to help the priest pay the ticket, though...that's my compromise. If I were the priest, even knowing what I know about the law and likely consequences, I would have done what he did.

And as you pointed out, God has taken care of the details.

Glad to see you blogging again...will this continue?

September 29, 2006 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Fra Angelico's Annunciation