.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Veritatis Splendor

"Keep your eyes fixed upon Jesus, who inspires and perfects our faith" --Hebrews 12:2


Pope Benedict XVI before our Lord

And only where God is seen does life truly begin. Only when we meet the living God in Christ do we know what life is. We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution.
Each of us is the result of a thought of God.
Each of us is willed,
each of us is loved,
each of us is necessary.
There is nothing more beautiful than to be surprised by the Gospel, by the encounter with Christ. There is nothing more beautiful than to know Him and to speak to others of our friendship with Him.
~Pope Benedict XVI, Homily April 24th, 2005



Sunday, October 01, 2006

Latin Inscriptions at the Cathedral



As many of you know, my personal spiritual home on earth will always be the Cathedral of Saint Paul in St. Paul, MN - not to push St. Peter's aside, by any means, as our universal spiritual home. It is true, there is a special place in my Catholic heart for the depth of St. Peter's... but our cathedral here has real sentimental and experiential value given solely by Providence, as she and her priests and people were the instruments God chose to convert me to His own Sacred Heart.

Anyway. The reason I bring all this up is because in my sorting of papers this beautiful Sunday, I came across one that I don't want to slip away into obscurity again: "The Latin Inscriptions in the Cathedral of Saint Paul"

I am not sure who created this, and to be honest I never checked it for accuracy, but I think it's pretty close. I think I am missing a few sheets from the original set, as there is a record of some inscriptions of the Blessed Virgin Mary chapel and the St. Joseph chapel, but not all of them and none of the ones from the St. Peter or Sacred Heart chapel. Perhaps, if a local Latinist reading this is willing to take on the challange, they can go on a pilgrimage to the Cathedral and fill in our blanks!

For now, here is the list that I have. I do not think this, or a more complete list, is in print anywhere else. Print it off and take it with you to the Cathedral some time, and do let me know if you try to fill in the gaps!

Link to the Word document

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Fra Angelico's Annunciation