.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Veritatis Splendor

"Keep your eyes fixed upon Jesus, who inspires and perfects our faith" --Hebrews 12:2


Pope Benedict XVI before our Lord

And only where God is seen does life truly begin. Only when we meet the living God in Christ do we know what life is. We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution.
Each of us is the result of a thought of God.
Each of us is willed,
each of us is loved,
each of us is necessary.
There is nothing more beautiful than to be surprised by the Gospel, by the encounter with Christ. There is nothing more beautiful than to know Him and to speak to others of our friendship with Him.
~Pope Benedict XVI, Homily April 24th, 2005



Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Tommy Thompson For President

I never thought I would do this so soon... but, Tommy Thompson in 2008!!

He was a wonderful governor for Wisconsin some years back, and his positions have NEVER changed. He did some great things for the pro-life/adoption movement in WI, and I'm happy to see on his issues page that he proudly states them all for everyone to read.

Plus, the word is that he's CATHOLIC to boot! (per Gerald - I hadn't known that, but then again when I was living in WI I didn't care much about Catholic anything or anyone)

My only fear is that with both him and Brownback (whom I admire as well) they may "split" up the opposition to Guiliani... and Guiliani might walk away the winner instead.

I haven't compared Brownback and Thompson directly, but from my experience in WI (a historically Democratic state) Thompson won by a wide margin every election - which means that the "average Joe" on both sides really liked him. I don't know if Brownback can match this, and so my first impression is that Thompson is a better choice to throw our weight behind. It will be interesting to compare the two more and see what others think about their individual chances and how they may hurt rather than help each other.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you not bothered by Thompson's support of embryonic stem cell research? Brownback is Catholic and 100% pro-life....

May 16, 2007 8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you certain he is opposed to ALL abortion or does he allow for exceptions? I understand he favors embryonic stem cell research. You may have jumped on his bandwagon too soon!

May 16, 2007 5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am new to your blog, but if you are all about truth why did not you not post my comment about Tommy Thompson's support for embryonic stem cell research? He is NOT opposed to destroying embryos for research purposes...

May 17, 2007 4:55 PM  
Blogger Maria Neva said...

Thanks for you comments -- sorry they did not get posted sooner, but that is because Blogger was directing all comments for moderation to an old e-mail address. I didn't see them until I signed into Blogger itself earlier.

Anyway, this is a cause of concern - I had only heard of some of his recent (vague) references to the ongoing support of adult stem cell lines and the status-quo situation of the embroynic lines now in use (in itself certainly not an ideal position). Now I see that there is a new post up on Wired's blog about this issue and that Thompson may be more strongly in favor of stem cell research than I had thought. Bad news for him, and I wonder why he has gone unchallanged on this?

I suspect that he will continue to moderate his stance on this as it becomes more of a firestorm with the pro-lifers - and if he doesn't, he'll never last. He should take some lessons from Norm Coleman. For our part, we should certainly be alerting him to the fact that this is a bullet wound to his political heart - the complete inconsistency of his stance for life and yet support of this will both alienate the pro-choice vote and the pro-life vote. Unless he picks his side, he's done.

As it stands, I think he's still in the running as one of the pro-life candidates - though certainly not the best. Historically, except for the stem-cell fiasco, he has been consistent in his pro-life stance. This means that it is either his blind spot, or it is indicative of his real belief. Blind spots can be seen, changing beliefs might be harder.

We'll just have to wait and see. I do hope and pray he sees the light (or the writing on the wall), because administratively I think he would be a good leader, if only he were totally on board with the primacy of the LIFE that must exist in order to be governed in the first place!

May 21, 2007 11:07 AM  
Blogger Maria Neva said...

Also, for what it's worth, if Brownback survives the primaries he would get my vote hands down. If Brownback is gone but Ron Paul remains, Paul gets it. But realistically I don't think either of them will, and Thompson just might... Thus, I consider him the "best of the electable" and will keep my eye on Thompson in the coming months. And pray for his conversion.

May 21, 2007 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Fra Angelico's Annunciation