.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Veritatis Splendor

"Keep your eyes fixed upon Jesus, who inspires and perfects our faith" --Hebrews 12:2


Pope Benedict XVI before our Lord

And only where God is seen does life truly begin. Only when we meet the living God in Christ do we know what life is. We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution.
Each of us is the result of a thought of God.
Each of us is willed,
each of us is loved,
each of us is necessary.
There is nothing more beautiful than to be surprised by the Gospel, by the encounter with Christ. There is nothing more beautiful than to know Him and to speak to others of our friendship with Him.
~Pope Benedict XVI, Homily April 24th, 2005



Monday, September 03, 2007

A great grace: a good death

From Kansas City comes An Unbelievable Set of Circumstances. WOW. A must read and a remarkable story of a soul. Perhaps this was due to many prayers made on his behalf unknowingly? It would seem that his family was seperated to some degree, in that he had never met his priest relative - it makes me wonder whether or not the full story is even more amazing, if there is a modern-day Monica in that family who has been mindful of the need for God's mercy. God bless that family, and I pray that He gives them consolation and peace, and healing, out of this tragedy.

This, my friends, is why I never stop praying to God, and through the intercession of St. Joseph, for the grace of a "happy death" for all of my family and friends. Sound morbid? Perhaps, by our modern culture - but apart from our Baptism, the moment of our death is the most important moment of our (eternal) life! I think that warrants our attention and prayer, no matter how uncomfortable that may make us or others feel. Also, death is only morbid for those who fear it. Through acknowledgement of our mortality, and prayer for the mercy of God out of love and trust, fear no longer has a hold on us and NO subject is "morbid" any longer, because all things, even death, give life through the power of Jesus Christ! Life is a grace, death is a grace, as St. Therese of Lisieux said, "everything is grace!" - but if some gifts are rejected they may indeed seem a curse instead. Choose life, choose grace, choose to believe and to be grateful - and look forward with joy to the day the Lord has chosen to receive you before His throne!

My favorite prayer on this is by Cardinal Newman:

O my Lord and Saviour, support me in my last hour by the strong arms of Your Sacraments and by the power of Your consolations. Let the absolving words be said over me, and the holy oil sign and seal me. Let Your own Body and Blood be my food and drink; and let my Mother, Mary, breathe on me and my angel whisper peace to me.

May the glorious saints and my own patrons smile upon me that, in them all and through them all, I may receive the gift of perseverance, and die as I desire to live in Your Church, in Your service, and in Your love. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Fra Angelico's Annunciation