.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Veritatis Splendor

"Keep your eyes fixed upon Jesus, who inspires and perfects our faith" --Hebrews 12:2


Pope Benedict XVI before our Lord

And only where God is seen does life truly begin. Only when we meet the living God in Christ do we know what life is. We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution.
Each of us is the result of a thought of God.
Each of us is willed,
each of us is loved,
each of us is necessary.
There is nothing more beautiful than to be surprised by the Gospel, by the encounter with Christ. There is nothing more beautiful than to know Him and to speak to others of our friendship with Him.
~Pope Benedict XVI, Homily April 24th, 2005



Tuesday, January 23, 2007

MCCL March for Life 2007

UPDATE: You've gotta watch this great video made at the big March for Life in DC yesterday - March for Life 2007


Yesterday I was proud to participate in the annual March for Life in St. Paul, I'd never been able to go before because of work or classes - but now, conveniently, that is no longer a problem. One of the perks of working in the Church. :)

The turnout was pretty good, all things considered - it being a workday and all. I don't know how many people actually were there, but I'd say at least a thousand or so. There were reports of pro-choice people counter protesting, but I didn't see a single one of them myself. I do wish I would have seen more of our priests - I only saw one that I knew, and he was from New Ulm diocese! Granted, the cold weather meant we were all pretty bundled up, so it's not like the Roman collars were that visible anyway. And the only religious I saw were some of the Franciscan Brothers of Peace (half their group was in Washington) and a few of the Sisters of St. Peter Claver.

One thing that was pretty neat to see was the representation of all the different towns of Minnesota - there was a sign available for every town that had a Catholic church. It was kind of confusing though, because if you didn't come with a group and your town sign was already missing, it was a challenge to find it among the zillions of other ones!

Also, there were tons of youth groups! All I could think of was, "silly me, why didn't you try to get our youth group organized??" Next year. Actually, next year I'd love to get our youth group together on a bus with the Franciscan Brothers of Peace and head to Washington DC ourselves. Unfortunately, the day falls on a Tuesday I think so that may not work very well - but, I'll keep it under consideration!

The mass media has, of course, completely misrepresented the whole event. I was surprised it even made the papers, honestly. But then I realized that the focal point of every story was Governer Pawlenty's fragment of his speech where he referenced that it SEEMED that the pro-life movement had taken a hit this year in the elections - of course, the rest of his speech was to demonstrate how the "defeat" wasn't nearly what the opponents claimed it to be. The point he was making was that it WASN'T really an awful defeat. Of course every single news story I saw clipped his one line out and spun it how they wanted everyone to think - and then added a lot of "commentary" for emphasis on how the poor pro-life movement has been so hurt this year but is still at it anyway ("ah, aren't those silly pro-life people, so out of touch with progress, sweet in their foolishness?") For example, saying that Planned Parenthood is being so kind for not kicking the dog when it's down, by focusing on "family planning" instead of abortion in its legislative efforts this year. Oh yeah, so kind of them.

Growl. Must. Pray. For. Them.

I have posted a few photos I took during the March - enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Fra Angelico's Annunciation